Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Butterfly du Jour

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - dorsal view
 The Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui). Similar in size and color to the Common Buckeye featured a few days ago.  However, the Painted Lady does not have the bold eye spots on the upper surface, and has a row of eyes pots on the trailing edge of the underside of the hind wing. 
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - ventral view




However, it is very similar to the American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis) I spotted earlier this summer. The keys to telling them apart are the small white spot seen in the upper side (barely visible in my old photo), surrounded by orange, and the two very bold eye spots on the trailing edge of the underside of the the hind wing in the American Lady.

I did spot and identify one other new one today, but I didn't have a camera at hand, and by the time I got mine, it was gone.  Maybe later...

Gray Hairstreak
However, I did get a good new shot of a little Gray Hairstreak....

Pearl Crescent











and a Pearl Crescent.

No comments:

Post a Comment