Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Joys of Aging - Part Deux...

and no doubt more to come.

A couple months ago, I laid out how mother nature had betrayed me, and gave me a PVD (Posterior Vitreous Detachment) in my left eye.  Well, it happened again, this time in the right eye.

I noticed something was going slightly wrong again in the right eye three days ago, on Saturday night.  For years, that eye has occasionally had a small "bright ring" (just a flash of a ring with crinkled edges), in the vision, that an optometrist told me was the vitreous preparing to pull away.  I hadn't seen the ring in months, which I though meant it was settling down.  Then on Saturday morning I saw it a couple of times.  On Saturday evening, I noticed the flash had expanded to a huge arc on the edge of the visual field, and that I had a lot of visual interference from "floaters".

It was pretty much the same on Sunday, so I didn't worry too much, and on Monday I got an appointment first thing Tuesday morning (today).  The ophthalmologist gave me the magic drops that dilate the iris, and proceeded to give both eyes the complete exam.

She confirmed my diagnosis, reassured me that it wasn't having the rare, but feared, side effect of tearing loose the retina, and basically told me to go about my life, and come back in a year for a regular check up.  As for the other eye, it appears to be improving slowly (less interference from the floaters).

So armed with my fully dilated eyes, and a pair of very dark shades, I set out for home, hoping the dilation gives up before the wind comes up on the Bay...

Still waiting...


No comments:

Post a Comment