Friday, June 13, 2014

A New Butterfly in the Garden

As I was preparing to hose the sand off my legs and beach shoes after the walk, I saw something up in the sage at the top of the driveway. Hoping it might be a new (to me, anyway) butterfly, I was pleasantly surprise to find this little brown skipper, which was completely unfamiliar. Butterfly sightings have been slow this year, and this would be the first "new" one.
My tentative identification is the Northern Cloudywing (Thorybes pylades) with a back up of Southern Cloudywing (Thorybes bathyllus). If you compare pictures of the two, it's a tough choice, and both could be found in this area. I already sent these pictures off to Butterfliesandmoths.org for identification (it's a free service).






Georgia also found this little Eastern Box Tortoise up near the pond.  Although they may graze a low hanging tomato, they're generally harmless

No comments:

Post a Comment