Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Last Butterfly of 2015 at the Beach?

It was cool, breezy and threatening rain when we went down to the beach this morning at low tide. You can see the beach grasses have almost totally browned out now, and many of our trees are starting to turn.
Trying to find sharks teeth (we found 10), I spotted this Common Buckeye stranded in shell hash on the upper edge of the swash. I noticed it's antennae were still up, and when I picked it up, it stayed there a minute, stood up on its legs, and flew off. I was kind of amazed. It's rather late for them and I would be surprised to see any more.
A Semipalmated Sandpiper stalks the tideline looking for tidbits.
There were no eagles out today that we saw, but here's one from a few days ago that I just took off the camera today.

No comments:

Post a Comment