Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Butterfly Bonanza

The day after the passage of Tropical Storm/Depression/Hurricane Hermine, the butterflies were all over the garden. Coincidence?

Among the most common were the Variegated Fritillary . . .



The Common Buckeye. . .
A Monarch or two

My first Gray Hairstreak for the year.
The ubiquitous Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
The Sachem (a little skipper). This one is female, the males are substantially different (and duller)
The American Lady, would wouldn't cooperate by baring her wings.
The tiny Pearl Crescent
and the Spicebush Swallowtail.
I saw a few others in passing, but didn't get the shot. Actually, it's been a slow year for butterfly species; my count is only up to 30; last year I managed 45. Several that I considered "gimmes" based on their steady appearance the past three years have been absent so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment