Friday, June 9, 2017

School is Out at the Beach

 Another gorgeous day here in Slower Maryland, mid 70's, sunny and clear (not necessarily linked here), and with a slight breeze. It's supposed to get hot tomorrow, so we tried to get a good walk in today. And Skye was nagging.
I stopped to photograph a couple of butterflies, here an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,
 And here a Spicebush Swallowtail.
And Skye and Georgia got way ahead of me, so they were sitting in the shade when I caught up. And then Georgia handed me this. . .
By far the biggest "Mako" (actually an extinct white) shark's tooth of the year. It had been sitting out in the open near the log, at the line of shells that marked the high tide line. 1 and 3/8 inches long, it would have been 1 and 1/2 had the root not been badly eroded.The blade, however is pristine and sharp.
I got a nicely preserved smaller one a short time later, but it just wasn't the same.
School seems to be out for the year, and there were a bunch of teens out on the beach to prove it. An unusual all girl kayak event.
My hero!
A pretty good haul today too!

No comments:

Post a Comment